KeePass 2.06 Beta available!
KeePass 2.06 Beta has been released today!
You can get it here:
Download KeePass 2.06 Beta.
Please note that this is a Beta version, which might be less
stable than the latest release of the 1.x series.
OpenPGP signatures for integrity checking
are available. The .NET assemblies are signed,
public keys for verifying are available.
For a comparison of the current KeePass 1.14 and 2.06 Beta, see:
Changes from 2.05 Alpha to 2.06 Beta:
- Translation system is now complete (translations to various
languages will be published on the KeePass
when translators finish them).
- When saving the database, KeePass now first checks whether
the file on disk/server has been modified since it was loaded
and if so, asks the user whether to synchronize with the
changed file instead of overwriting it (i.e. multiple users
can now use a
database on a network drive).
- Database files are now verified (read and hashed) after
writing them to disk (in order to prevent data loss caused by
damaged/broken devices and/or file systems).
- Completely new auto-type/URL placeholder replacement and
field reference engine.
- On Windows Vista, some of the message boxes are now displayed
as modern task dialogs.
- KeePass is now also available as MSI package.
- Accessibility: added advanced option to optimize the user
interface for screen readers (only enable this option if
you're really using a screen reader).
- Added standard client icons: Tux, feather, apple, generic
Wiki icon, '$', certificate and BlackBerry.
- Secure edit controls in the master key and entry dialogs now
accept text drops.
- Added ability to store notes for each group (see 'Notes' tab
in the group editing window), these notes are shown in the
tooltip of the group in the group tree of the main window.
- Group names in the entry details view are now clickable;
click it to jump to the group of the entry (especially useful
for jumping from search results to the real group of an
- Added '
placeholders to auto-type sequence editing dialog.
- Wildcards (
*) may now also appear in the middle of auto-type
target window filters.
- For auto-type target window filters, regular expressions are
now supported (enclose in //).
- KeePass now shows an explicit file corruption warning message
when saving to a file fails.
- Added option to prepend a special auto-type initialization
sequence for Internet Explorer and Maxthon windows to fix a
focus issue (option enabled by default).
- Added ability to specify a minimum length and minimum
estimated quality that master passwords must have (see help
file -> Features ->
Composite Master Key; for admins).
- Added field reference creation dialog (accessible through
the 'Tools' menu in the entry editing dialog).
- Field references are
dereferenced when copying data to the clipboard.
- Entry field references are now dereferenced in drag&drop
- KeePass now follows field references in indirect auto-type
- Added internal field reference cache (highly improves
performance of multiple-cyclic/recursive field references).
- Added managed system power mode change handler.
- Added "Lock Workspace" tray context menu command.
- Moved all export commands
into a new export dialog.
- Added context menu command to export the selected group only.
- Added context menu command to export selected entries only.
- Added support for importing
Password Memory 2008 XML files.
- Added support for importing Password Keeper 7.0 CSV files.
- Added support for importing Passphrase Keeper 2.70 HTML files.
- Added support for importing data from PassKeeper 1.2.
- Added support for importing Mozilla bookmarks JSON files
(Firefox 3 bookmark files).
- Added support for exporting to KeePass 1.x CSV files.
- Added XSL transformation file to export passwords only
(useful for generating and exporting password lists).
- Added support for writing databases to hidden files.
- When passing '
--help' or similar on the
KeePass will now open the command line help.
- When single instance mode
is enabled and a second instance is
started with command line parameters, these parameters are
now sent to the already open KeePass instance.
- KeePass now ships with a compiled XML serializer library,
which highly improves startup performance.
- Added support for Uniform Naming Convention (UNC) paths
(Windows) in the URL field (without
- Added option to exclude expired entries in the 'Find' dialog.
- Added option to exclude expired entries in quick searches
(toolbar; disabled by default).
- The box to enter the name of a custom string field is now a
combobox that suggests previously-used names in its drop-down
- Added Shift, Control and Alt key modifiers to placeholder
overview in the auto-type sequence editing dialog.
- Added support for 64 byte key files which don't contain hex
- Added Ctrl-Shift-F accelerator for the 'Find in this Group'
context menu command (group tree must have the focus).
- Added export ability to
- Ctrl-Tab now also works in the password list, groups tree and
entry details view.
- Added multi-user documentation.
- Plugin developers:
DocumentManagerEx now has an
- Plugin developers: instead of manually setting the parent
group property and adding an object to a group, use the new
AddGroup methods of
(can take ownership).
- Plugins can now add new export file formats (in addition to
- Plugins: added static message service event.
Improvements / Changes:
- When using the installation package and Windows Vista,
settings are now stored in the user's profile directory
(instead of Virtual Store; like on Windows XP and earlier).
- Accessibility: multi-line edit controls do not accept tabs
anymore (i.e. tab jumps to the next dialog control), and
inserting a new line doesn't require pressing Ctrl anymore.
- When moving entries, KeePass doesn't switch to the target
- When deleting entries from the search results, the entry list
is not cleared anymore.
- Improved entry duplication method (now also works correctly
in search results list and grouped list views).
- A more useful error message is shown when checking for
- Improved formats sorting in the import dialog.
- The 'Limit to single instance' option is now turned on by
default (multiple databases are opened in tabs).
- Removed 'sort up', 'sort down' and empty client icons.
- Improved program termination code (common clean-up).
- Improved error message that is shown when reading/writing the
protected user key fails.
- The key file selection dialog now by default shows all files.
- Plugins: improved event handlers (now using generic delegate).
- Implemented several workarounds for Mono (2.0.1+).
- Added conformance level specification for XSL transformations
(in order to improve non-XML text exports using XSLT).
- Improved key state toggling for auto-type on 64-bit systems.
- Removed several unnecessary .NET assembly dependencies.
- Threading safety improvements.
- Highly improved entry context menu performance when many
entries are selected.
- Entry selection performance improvements in main window.
- Improved entries list view performance (state caching).
- List view group assignment improvements (to avoid splitting).
- Removed tab stops from quality progress bars.
- After moving entries to a different group, the original group
is selected instead of the target group.
- Layout and text improvements in the master key creation form.
- Text in the URL field is now shown in blue (if it's black in
the standard theme).
- Improved auto-type tab in entry dialog (default sequence).
- Improved AES/Rijndael cipher engine initialization.
- Improved build scripts.
- Various code optimizations.
- Minor other improvements.
- Installer: changed AppId to allow parallel installation of
KeePass 1.x and 2.x.
- Minor other installer improvements.
- The 'View' -> 'Show Columns' -> 'Last Access Time' menu
command now works correctly.
- The 'Clipboard' -> 'Paste Entries' menu command now assigns
correct group references to pasted entries.