KeePass 2.16 available!
KeePass 2.16 has been released today!
You can get it here:
Download KeePass 2.16.
This is a stable release. It is recommended to upgrade from any
previous 2.x version to 2.16.
KeePass 2.16 mainly features search enhancements, proxy support,
many improvements for Mono / Unix-like systems,
and various other minor new features and improvements.
Hash sums and
OpenPGP signatures for integrity checking
are available. The .NET assemblies are signed,
public keys for verifying are available.
For a comparison of the current KeePass 1.20 and 2.16, see:
If you like KeePass, please don't forget to donate.
Changes from 2.15 to 2.16:
- When searching for a string containing a whitespace
character, KeePass now splits the terms and reports all
entries containing all of the terms (e.g. when you search for
"Forum KeePass" without the quotes, all entries containing
both "Forum" and "KeePass" are reported); the order of the
terms is arbitrary; if you want to search for a term
containing whitespace, enclose the term in quotes.
- When searching for a term starting with a minus ('
entries that do not contain the term are reported (e.g. when
you search for "Forum -KeePass" without the quotes, all
entries containing "Forum" but not "KeePass" are reported).
- Added dialog in the options to specify a web proxy (none,
system or manual) and user name and password for it.
- Added option to always exit instead of
locking the workspace.
- Added option to play the UAC sound when switching to a
(enabled by default).
- Added filter box in the
field references creation dialog.
- Added command to delete duplicate entries (entries are
considered to be equal when their strings and attachments are
the same, all other data is ignored; if one of two equal
entries is in the recycle bin, it is deleted preferably;
otherwise the decision is based on the last modification
- Added command to delete empty groups.
- Added command to delete unused
- For Unix-like systems: new file-based IPC broadcast mechanism
(supporting multiple endpoints).
- For Unix-like systems: added file-based global mutex
- Auto-type on Unix-like systems:
added support for sending square brackets and apostrophes.
- Two-channel auto-type obfuscation
is now supported on Unix-like systems, too.
- Web access on Unix-like systems: added workarounds for non-implemented
cache policy and credentials requirement.
- Added context menu command to empty the recycle bin (without
deleting the recycle bin group).
- On Windows Vista and higher, when trying to delete a group,
the confirmation dialog now shows a short summary of the
subgroups and entries that will be deleted, too.
- In the auto-type target window drop-down combobox, icons are
now shown left of the window names.
auto-type command (to clear the contents of single-line edit controls).
- Added support for importing
Sticky Password 5.0 XML files
(formatted memos are imported as RTF file attachments, which
you can edit using the internal KeePass editor; e.g. right-click
on the entry in the main window and go 'Attachments' ->
'Edit Notes.rtf' or click on the attachment in the entry view
at the bottom of the main window; see
'How to store and work
with large amounts of formatted text?' in the FAQ).
- Added support for importing Kaspersky Password Manager 5.0
XML files (formatted memos are imported the same as by the
Sticky Password importer, see above).
- Password Depot importer: added support for more fields (new
time fields and usage count), time fields can be imported
using the stored format specifier, vertical tabulators are
removed, improved import of information cards, and auto-type
sequences are converted now.
- Added ability to export links into the root directory of
- Windows/IE favorites export: added configuration items to
specify a prefix and a suffix for exported links/files.
- In the entry editing dialog, KeePass now opens an attachment
either in the internal editor or in the internal viewer,
depending on whether the format is supported by the editor.
- When creating a new database, KeePass now automatically
creates a second sample entry, which is configured for the
test form in the online help center.
- Added configuration option to disable the 'Options',
'Plugins' and/or 'Triggers' menu items.
- Added workaround for Mono tab bar height bug.
- Added workaround for Mono FTP bug.
- Added workaround for Mono CryptoStream bug.
- Added workaround for a Mono bug related to focusing list view
- Added shell script to prepare the sources for MonoDevelop.
- Translations can now also be loaded from the KeePass
application data directory.
- TrlUtil: added support for ellipses as alternative to 3 dots.
- KPScript: added 'DetachBins' command to save all entry
attachments (into the directory of the database) and remove
them from the database.
Improvements / Changes:
- After performing a quick-find, the search text is now
- Improved quick-find deselection performance.
- On Unix-like systems, command line parameters
prefixed with a
/' are now treated as absolute file paths instead of options.
- Improved IPC support on Unix-like systems.
- Locked databases can now be dismissed using the close command.
- Invalid target windows (like the taskbar, own KeePass
windows, etc.) are not shown in the auto-type target window
drop-down combobox anymore.
- Newly created entries are now selected and focused.
- The entry list is now focused when duplicating and selecting
- If KeePass is blocked from showing a dialog on the secure
desktop, KeePass now shows the dialog on the normal desktop.
- Improved dialog initialization on the secure desktop.
- The current status is now shown while exporting Windows/IE
- Windows/IE favorites export: improved naming of containing
folder when exporting selected entries only.
- Windows/IE favorites export: if a group doesn't contain any
exportable entry, no directory is created for this group
- Improved data editor window position/size remembering.
- Key modifiers of shortcut key strings are translated now.
- Shortcut keys of group and entry commands are now also shown
in the main menu.
- When no template entries
are specified/found, this is now
indicated in the 'Add Entry' toolbar drop-down menu.
- When deleting a group, its subgroups and entries are now
added correctly to the list of deleted objects.
- Font handling improvements.
- Improved lock timeout updating when a dialog is displayed.
- Improved export error handling.
- Improved FIPS compliance problems self-test (error message
immediately at start), and specified configuration option to
prevent .NET from enforcing FIPS policy.
- Various code optimizations.
- Minor other improvements.
- Last modification time is now updated when restoring an older
version of an entry.
- When duplicating an entry, the UUIDs of history items are now
Thanks to Oliver Sahr for suggesting some of the
new features and improvements above.