KeePass 2.35 available!
KeePass 2.35 has been released today!
You can get it here:
Download KeePass 2.35.
This is a stable release. It is recommended to upgrade from any
previous 2.x version to 2.35.
KeePass 2.35 mainly features a new database file format,
user interface enhancements, and various other minor new features and improvements.
Hash sums and
OpenPGP signatures for integrity checking
are available, and program binaries are digitally signed (Authenticode).
New translations are available, too.
For a comparison of the current KeePass 1.32 and 2.35, see:
If you like KeePass, please don't forget to donate.
Changes from 2.34 to 2.35:
- New KDBX 4 file format,
which supports various new features (listed below; e.g. Argon2).
- Added Argon2 key derivation
function (it can be activated in the database settings dialog).
- Improved header and
data authentication in KDBX 4 files
(using HMAC-SHA-256, Encrypt-then-MAC scheme).
- Added ChaCha20
encryption algorithm (it can be
activated as KDBX file encryption algorithm in the database
settings dialog; furthermore, it supersedes Salsa20 as
default for generating the inner random stream of KDBX 4
- Added support for opening entry URLs with Firefox or Opera in
private mode via the context menu -> 'URL(s)' -> 'Open with
- Added URL override suggestions for Firefox and Opera in
private mode in the URL override suggestions drop-down list
in the entry dialog.
- Added optional built-in global URL overrides for opening
HTTP/HTTPS URLs with Firefox or Opera in private mode.
which shows a dialog to pick a field whose value will be inserted.
- Added option 'Hide "Close Database" toolbar button when at
most one database is opened' (turned on by default).
- Added option 'Show additional auto-type menu commands', which
can be turned on to show menu commands for performing entry
auto-type with some specific sequences.
- Added menu command 'Selected Entry's Group' (with keyboard
shortcut Ctrl+G) in 'Edit' -> 'Show Entries' (and a context
menu equivalent 'Show Parent Group' in 'Selected Entries'),
which opens the parent group of the currently selected entry
and selects the entry again.
- Added menu commands in 'Edit' -> 'Show Entries' to show
entries that expire in a specific number of days (1, 2, 3) or
weeks (1, 2, 4, 8) or in the future.
- Added configuration option that specifies the number of days
within which entries are considered to expire 'soon' (the
default is 7).
- Added option for changing the alternate item background color.
- When the option 'Remember key sources' is enabled, KeePass
now also remembers whether a
master password has been used.
- Added option 'Force changing the master key the next time
(once)' (in 'File' -> 'Database Settings' -> tab 'Advanced').
- Added parameters 'Window style' and 'Verb' for the 'Execute
command line / URL' trigger action.
- Added support for importing mSecure 3.5.5 CSV files.
- Added support for importing Password Saver 4.1.2 XML files.
- Added support for importing Enpass 184.108.40.206 TXT files.
- Enhanced SplashID CSV import (added support for the old
version 3.4, added mappings for types of the latest version,
groups are now created only for categories, and types are
imported as tags).
- LastPass import: added support for CSV files exported by the
LastPass Chrome extension, which encodes some special
characters as XML entities.
- Added 'KeePass KDBX (2.34, Old Format)' export module.
- Export using XSL transformation: added support for the
xsl:output' element in XSL files.
- If the global auto-type hot key is
Ctrl+Alt+A and the current
input locale is Polish, KeePass now shows a warning dialog
(telling the user that
Ctrl+Alt+A is in conflict with a
system key combination producing a character).
- Added Alt+X Unicode character conversion
support in rich text boxes on Unix-like systems.
- For development snapshots, the 'About' dialog now shows the
snapshot version (in the form 'YYMMDD').
- Plugins can provide other
key derivation functions now.
- The header of KDBX 4 files is extensible by plugins.
- Enhanced support for developing encryption algorithm plugins.
- Plugins can now store custom data in groups and entries.
- Plugin data stored in the database, a group or an entry can
now be inspected (and deleted) in the database maintenance
dialog, the group dialog and the entry dialog, respectively.
- For plugins: file closing events now contain information
about whether KeePass is exiting, locking or performing a
- Added workaround for .NET handle cast overflow bug in
- Added workaround for Mono ignoring the
- Added workaround for Mono clipboard bug.
- Added workaround for Mono not focusing the default control in
the entry editing dialog.
- Added workaround for a Mono timer bug that caused high CPU
load while showing a file save confirmation dialog.
- Added Mono workaround: when running on Mac OS X, KeePass now
does not try to instantiate a tray icon anymore.
- Added workaround for XDoTool sending diacritic characters in
- TrlUtil now recommends to clear the 'Unused Text' tab.
- Improved behavior when searching entries with
(terms prefixed with '
- Improved support for auto-typing into target windows using
different keyboard layouts.
- Auto-Type: improved support for keyboard layouts with keys
where Shift, Caps Lock
and no modifier result in 3 different characters.
- Auto-Type: improved support for spacing modifier letters
(U+02B0 to U+02FF).
- Global auto-type now works with target windows having empty
- When copying entries to the clipboard, the data package now
includes custom icons used by the entries.
- Unified behavior when drag&dropping
a field containing a placeholder.
- Improved entry edit confirmation dialog.
- If the screen height is insufficient to display a dialog, the
dialog's banner (if the dialog has one) is now removed to
save some space.
- Some tooltips are now displayed for a longer time.
- A new entry created using a template now does not include the
history of the template anymore.
- For empty RTF attachments, the
internal data editor now by
default uses the font that is specified for TXT files.
- Internal data editor: added support for changing the format
of mixed-format selections.
- Internal data viewer and editor: null characters ('
0') in texts are now automatically replaced by spaces (like
Notepad on Windows 10).
- Improved encoding signature handling for conversions during
text attachment imports (via the 'Text Encoding' dialog).
- File transactions are not used anymore for files that have a
reparse point (e.g. symbolic links).
- Improved XSL stylesheets for KDBX XML files.
- The internal window manager is now thread-safe.
- Improved date/time handling.
- Improved button image disposal.
- When synchronizing two databases,
custom data (by plugins) is now merged.
- When opening a database file, corrupted icon indices are now
automatically replaced by default values.
- Added some more entropy sources for the seed of the
cryptographically secure pseudo-random number generator
(environment variables, command line, full operating system
version, current culture).
- ChaCha20 is now used during password generation
(instead of Salsa20).
- ChaCha20 is now used as fallback process memory encryption
algorithm (instead of Salsa20).
- When the encryption algorithm for a database file is unknown,
the error message now shows the UUID of the algorithm.
- In KDBX 4, header field lengths are now 4 bytes wide.
- In KDBX 4, entry attachments are now stored in an inner,
binary header (encrypted, possibly compressed), before the
XML part; this reduces the database file size and improves
the loading/saving performance.
- In KDBX 4, the inner random stream cipher ID and key (to
support process memory protection)
are now stored in the inner header instead of in the outer header.
ChangeMasterKey' command now also updates the
master key change date.
- TrlUtil: improved validation warning dialogs.
- The MSI file now requires any .NET Framework version, not a
- The MSI file is now built using Visual Studio 2015.
- Various code optimizations.
- Minor other improvements.
- When executing a
placeholder, the last modification
time of the corresponding entry is now updated.
- Key files containing exactly
64 alphanumeric characters are now loaded as intended.