KeePass 2.21 available!
KeePass 2.21 has been released today!
You can get it here:
Download KeePass 2.21.
This is a stable release. It is recommended to upgrade from any
previous 2.x version to 2.21.
KeePass 2.21 mainly features auto-type enhancements, support for more character
encodings in various areas, many user interface improvements,
and various other minor new features and improvements.
If you are using KeePass together with a port of KeePass and the port has
problems with opening database files saved by KeePass 2.21, please read the page
KeePass 1.24 and 2.20 Header
Some LNGX translation files are now named differently. If you do not have to overwrite
an existing file during updating your translation (i.e. the file name of the translation
has changed), you have to select the new translation in 'View' -> 'Change Language'.
Hash sums and
OpenPGP signatures for integrity checking
are available. The .NET assemblies are signed,
public keys for verifying are available.
For a comparison of the current KeePass 1.25 and 2.21, see:
If you like KeePass, please don't forget to donate.
Changes from 2.20.1 to 2.21:
- Generic CSV importer:
a group separator can be specified now (for importing group trees).
- Internal data viewer: added hex viewer mode (which is now the
default for unknown data types).
- In the 'Show Entries by Tag' menu, the number of entries
having a specific tag is now shown right of the tag.
- In the 'Add Tag' menu, a tag is now disabled if all selected
entries already have this tag.
added support for right modifier keys.
- Added special key codes:
- Interleaved sending of keys is now prevented by default (if
you e.g. have an auto-type sequence that triggers another
auto-type, enable the new option 'Allow interleaved sending
of keys' in 'Tools' -> 'Options' -> tab 'Advanced').
- Added '
line option (other running KeePass instances perform auto-type for the currently
- Added option to additionally show references
when showing dereferenced data (enabled by default).
- The selection in a secure edit control
is now preserved when unhiding and hiding the content.
- The auto-type association editing dialog now does not hang
anymore when a window of any other application hangs.
- When an application switches from the secure
desktop to a different desktop, KeePass now shows a warning message box;
clicking [OK] switches back to the secure desktop.
- Added 'OK'/'Cancel' buttons in the icon picker dialog.
- Added support for importing
LastPass 2.0.2 CSV files.
- KeePass now shows an error message when the user accidentally
attempts to use a database file as key file.
- Added support for UTF-16 surrogate pairs.
- Added UTF-8 BOM support for version information files.
- The KeePass version is now also shown in the components list
in the 'About' dialog.
- File operations are now context-independent (this e.g. makes
it possible to use the 'Activate database' trigger
action during locking).
- Plugins can now register their placeholders
to be shown in the auto-type item editing dialog.
- Plugins can now subscribe to IO access events.
- Added workaround for .NET bug 694242; status dialogs now
scale properly with the DPI resolution.
- Added workaround for Mono
- Added workaround for Mono bug 586901; high Unicode characters
in rich text boxes are displayed properly now.
Improvements / Changes:
- When the main window UI is being unblocked, the focus is not
reset anymore, if a primary control has the focus.
- When opening the icon picker dialog, KeePass now ensures that
the currently selected icon is visible.
- Internal data viewer: improved visibility updating.
- The e-mail box icon by default is not inherited by new
- The database is now marked as modified when auto-typing a
- Enhanced AnyPassword importer to additionally support CSV
files exported by AnyPassword Pro 1.07.
- Enhanced Password Safe XML importer (KeePass tries to fix the
broken XML files exported by Password Safe 3.29
- IO credentials can be loaded over IPC now.
- Enhanced user switch detection.
- Even when an exception occurs, temporary files created during
KDB exports are now deleted immediately.
- Improved behavior on Unix-like systems when the operating
system does not grant KeePass access to the temporary
- Improved critical sections that are not supposed to be re-entered
by the same thread.
- Improved secure desktop name generation.
- When a dialog is closed, references within the global client
image list to controls (event handlers) are removed now.
- .NET 4.5 is now preferred, if installed.
- PLGX plugins are now preferably compiled using the .NET 4.5
compiler, if KeePass is currently running under the 4.5 CLR.
- Updated KB links.
- Changed naming of translation files.
- The installer now always overwrites the KeePassLibC 1.x
- Upgraded installer.
- Various code optimizations.
- Minor other improvements.
- When locking multiple databases and cancelling a 'Save
Changes?' dialog, the UI is now updated correctly.
- '&' characters in dynamic menu texts, in dialog banner texts,
in image combobox texts, in text box prompts and in tooltips
are now displayed properly.